Learner Licence Programme
These FREE 5-day course for 16 to 24 year olds will provide you with a better understanding of the road code, and will help you to sit your learner licence with greater confidence. Course participants will sit the Learner Driver Licence test on day 5.
This course includes the fundamentals of the Road Code, and key road safety elements.
Why you should get a driver’s licence
- Many employers are now looking for young people with a driver’s licence – even if driving isn’t part of the job!
- You will have the independence to travel to work, sport and social activities without having to rely on others to drive you there.
- The licence process is designed to make you a safe driver on our roads. The restrictions at each stage of the licence help you learn new skills without the extra pressure of things like driving at night or with passengers in the car.
Restricted Licence Programme
Starting in 2019
YOUth INSPIRE is excited to announce the launch of Road Ready Rangatahi – a Driving School Programme to help young people gain their restricted driver’s licence!
YOUth INSPIRE will:
- Facilitate a group of learner drivers through a cycle of driving practice of up to 12 weeks
- Each driver will be allocated a volunteer mentor who is trained and supported by a professional driving instructor. The mentor will coach the learner driver while they practice in a car provided by the programme.
- Each driver will also have professional driving lessons with a qualified driving instructor, which their volunteer mentor will attend to help identify any skills that need improving. The professional lessons occur at the beginning, middle and end of the cycle, and are used to assess the learner’s progress and readiness to sit their restricted licence test.
- Ideally each learner driver should aim to have 120 hours of supervised driving practice before sitting the test. Learner drivers need to arrange some supervised practice with their family/whanau to build up the total of 120 hours.
Note: If you are assessed as having well developed driving skills, your time on the programme may be shorter than outlined above.